5 Hidden Health Hazards in Homes

Home is where you relax and unwind after a long day of work, and a place where you spend most of your time apart from your workplace. Since we spend so much time at home and doing some of our important activities, such as sleeping and eating, it becomes difficult to keep it completely hygienic. Moreover, there are many hidden hazards to our health at home that you can’t see, thanks to our advanced technology there are a wide-ranging synthetic and processed products that benefit us in many ways of living by making things easier.

Continue to read below to see what hidden hazards are there at our homes.


1. Asbestos

If your house was built around 1970s’ or before, it is very likely to contain asbestos which is a harmful substance that can cause lung cancer when it becomes airborne. Talk to an asbestos removal company and undertake an asbestos inspection if think there might be asbestos in your house. One of the most common spots that contain asbestos is roof, but there are re-roofing contractors available in market to hire.


2. Mold

moldMold spreads easily on wet surface in moisturized environment. It can quickly “eat out” a large area that is wet and soaked. Not only it makes the surface look very unappealing to guests who visit our home but also it is a health hazard. Breathing in mold can cause an increased chance of allergy and asthma. It can also lead to infections. You can prevent mold by keeping your room dry. Especially for a bathroom where it is usually humid and wet after shower, you can consider adding a dehumidifier.


3. Kitchen Sponges

Sponge Can you imagine how much bacteria a kitchen sponge can contain? You probably think that you use a sponge to clean your kitchen items, but it is usually the opposite happening. When you are using a sponge to clean grease and crumbs left on dishes, everything you want to wash way becomes nutrition, and the sponges becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. You are likely not cleaning your pan, instead you are transferring the bacteria onto the pan. The easiest way to solve this is to put your kitchen sponge into a microwave for 1 minute before each use. Also you can leave your sponge in a dishwasher to get sanitary.


4. Dust Mites

vacuumDust mites are microscopic insects that live in your carpet and bedding. They could be an allergen to some people, and cause symptoms including sneezing, congestion, watery eyes and coughing. Dust mites have caused my brother skin allergy quite a few times, and I remember I woke up with watery eyes a few times in the morning. You can reduce dust mites by keeping your carpet and bedding clean. It is suggested to get your carpet dry washed regularly and get your beddings clean once a week.


5. Lead Paint

Lead paint was banned at 1970s’ due to its toxicity to human health. The hazard of lead paint is exposure to lead dust from paint that was widely used before 1970. It is a detrimental substance that could cause symptoms like learning difficulties and nervous system damage in child. If your home was built decades ago, you might want to consider hiring professionals to have an inspection and remove old paints. It is not suggested to remove old paint yourself, it is very dangerous if it becomes airborne.